Monday, August 9, 2010

Niacin Causes Acne-Like Bumps

Filed under Acne News by Clear Skin Consultant

I have a funny story to tell you. When I got married in Vegas, I brought along a TON of Five Hour Energy. Five Hour Energy are these little bottles of hyper caffeinated, vitamin B12, otherwise known as Niacin, loaded energy drinks. I figured if I was in Sin City and getting married, I didn’t want a little thing like getting tired getting in my way of partying all night and enjoying the amenities that Vegas had to offer.

I also figured that I didn’t now how I’d sleep in the hotel, because sometimes sleeping in a foreign bed really interferes with my sleep. Five Hour Energy, when I take only a half bottle like I should, doesn’t make me break out with acne like other energy drinks such as Red Bull do. I think it’s because it has more B12 and other energizing ingredients and doesn’t rely on pure stimulants and caffeine like a lot of other energy drinks do.

What I didn’t count on though, was the side effect of drinking too much vitamin B12 was. I drank a few of the Five Hour Energies in one day, and that’s when I started to notice all these little bumps on my shoulders and my back and my chest. It was sort of like really mild acne bumps, not inflamed, but almost like a rash.

I didn’t put two and two together until long after we got back from Vegas though. I ended up reading about how Niacin, when consumed in too much quantity can actually make your skin flush and also break out in rashes in different areas.

So what I had experienced was a sort of “overdose” of Vitamin B12! Just a word to the wise, Five Hour Eenrgy may not make you break out with acne per se, but it can definitely make you break out in a rash that you may not know what it’s from.

Bookmark or Share!

No comments:

Post a Comment